Friday, July 6, 2007

I have just realised i haven't mentioned where i live. For the last 36 years i have lived in Gosport, Hampshire and love living so close to the sea. It's a 5 minute walk to the beach. My husband is a mechanical engineer but has a passion for british motobikes and has always got a restoration project on the go.
I was born at home just up the road in Fareham. In 1960 we then moved to a small village called Damerham near Fordingbridge where my father was the 'village bobby'. It was an idllyic place to spend those formative years. we had to walk through a cabbage field to get to the village school, one classroom for the infants , another for the juniors. I was taught to knit at infants which just wouldn't happen nowadays. At the back of our house was a field where we spent many hours playing hide and seek around the haystacks and at the front was a field with a stream running through it. My elder brother and i use to wade through this stream with our jam jars catching minnows. Towards one end of the road was a dense wood where we would play cowboys and indians, me being the squaw left in charge of the den while my brother and his friends went hunting! we'd run on ahead using chalk to mark arrows on the trees and leave others to try and track us down. Nearly everything we did involved being outside, it was a wonderful life.
Our next move was to Andover and then by 1967 we were living in farnborough.In 1968 we moved to Basingstoke for a couple of years were i started senior school and in 1971 moved to Gosport. I remained in Gosport because i married a Gosport man but my parents still made a few more moves after that. They are now retired and live in West End a village near Eastleigh. All of our family still live relatively close, about a 20 mile radius

No comments: